Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Den and Daybed

When I first thought of blogging about all my projects I thought at the very least I'll have preserved my memories and pictures of all my work.  I haven't had the best of luck lately with my computers.  I thought maybe if I blog, and include the most important pics, they will be saved in cyberspace somewhere.  So I really wanted to blog about what was once my den... and about the daybed I made... only I can't find pics of me building it.... I am missing pics... I know I had to take pics... Why wouldn't I have taken pics????  But where are they?  idk... so... this blog , I'll probably change a million times before I actually post it... I'm not getting to tell my story the way I wanted to... the existing pics are going to have to work... and not well... but, its all I have to work with.... so here goes....




Ok... so here's the deal with the den.... we bought our house and the previous owners had left us a lot of furniture... including a few bedrooms of furniture...which was great because we had a lot of rooms to fill.   In one of the spare bedrooms we set up two twin beds for our little overnight guests!!  Again... picture fail....

At the time, my desk and computer were set up downstairs...

Well the hubster had other plans...
he wanted a man cave...
or at least some where to watch tv make a mess...
and not have me nag him about it
so I got evicted... lol...  
I now needed a room for my computer. 

 So... I took down the beds.. put the frames in the attic...and by placing one mattress on its side against the wall... and then piling the box springs and remaining mattress on each other ... I created a daybed...



It was quite comfortable...
 I put the desk over here under the window....


and set up a tv!!

I had to bring up my cabinets too, so I put them over there....


and that was that... but not for long!

As comfortable as the mattress pile was... it wasn't really cutting it as a daybed... so I built my own.
Of course... I can't find the pics of me building it... but as it happens... I have pics of it being taken down.... I'll have to work backwards 


I started with a mattress and a broken hollow core door. I used plans from Matt on Room By Room... the first show ever to air on HGTV, and I built the frame


It took a little modifying... but I got it there....

I added a brace of 1x2 all the way around to hold the base for the mattress



 then I made the base so I can open it and store things below..that worked out pretty well... but it wasn't very user friendly...it was very heavy... especially with a mattress on it!!


pay no attention to the pink wall

  so I made sure what I put under there, stayed under there


Next came the headboard...the hollow core door...
I attached a couple 1x3s to the back side of the daybed frame
then I upholstered the door and slipped it right on the 1x3s... since the door was hollow ... it pretty much slipped right on.. and I really don't have pics of that either... I will later..but that's a whole 'nother post...


anyway... here is what it looked like when I was done...




I made some side rails for the bed.. can't find the pics to prove I had them on... but here are a few pics to show that I made them...
Here I cut all my wood....
Then set the pattern and predrilled then glued and screwed them together..no jig involved...

It took awhile to paint them...I even hung them outside to dry...


I really wish I could find the pics I had of them attached... I know I have them somewhere... I hope...

Ok... enough of the bed...

As you can see... I had red walls... which was way hot...



and a green wall ... and black trim...

and a green ceiling...

And black crown moulding...
Thanks to my brother Tom and nephew Brian!!!

and lots of pictures on the walls...

I painted the cabinets.... and the little dresser...

It might have been overkill... but the room looked hot...

I even did that faux wood look on the desk... that came out very cool...



Took the closet doors off and hung the wicker blind..



notice the ottoman on the left??  Yup... made that too...

I loved this room...

Not too long after I got this room all set up... I bought my first laptop... and then the room sat empty....

until I heard the news... baby Marlee was coming!!!!
Hmmmmm.....
(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment